Salted Caramel Icing Recipe SCIRecipe
Salted Caramel Icing Recipe
This recipe can be made ahead of time. Just store in a tightly covered container in the frig for up to 7 days. Allow the icing come to room temperature before using. One recipe batch will frost approx. 24 cupcakes.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (not flavoring)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Briefly stir together granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture turns dark amber in color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and slowly add in cream and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Set aside until cool to the touch, about 25 minutes.
3. Combine butter and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add powdered sugar, and mix until completely incorporated.
4. Turn mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add caramel. Beat frosting on medium-high speed until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until stiff, about 45 minutes, before using.