Pastillage Recipe SHPR
Pastillage, pronounced PAHS-tee-AHJ, is a type of sugar-based dough used to make edible decorations . Though it’s edible, meaning that they can be eaten because they are made with edible product, it’s not recommended to eat them. All you need for an afternoon of grown-up Play-Doh fun is the right ingredients!
1 recipe of Pastillage
- 1 lb. cane powdered sugar: C & H or Dominos (4 cups)
- ½ C. + 1 ½ T Cornstarch
- 1/4 C water
- 1/4 t. Cream of Tartar
- 1 unflavored gelatin (2.25 t.)
1. First, sift together the sugar, cornstarch, and cream of tartar.
2. Stir the gelatin into the water, let it stand for 5 minutes, then heat until dissolved.
3. Use your dough hook fitted on your mixer and pour the gelatin mix into the bowl. Turn it on at low speed and add the sugar mixture as fast as it can be absorbed. This will take a few minutes, as you want to keep it going until you have a smooth, thick paste.
4. Scoop out all the dough and shape it into a lump. Wrap it up immediately. Pastillage begins to dry out in seconds. Keep the dough tightly wrapped at all times that you’re not using it. Work quickly to avoid drying and cracking.
5. The dough will be white, but you can color it using POWERED food dye available at this site. Don’t use water-based dye as it will ruin the consistency of the dough. You can use alcohol-based dye to paint the surface of the dough.
6. Your play area will be best served by a silicone mat, lest you find yourself scraping dried dough off your table. Keep extra plastic wrap handy as well as some cornstarch to add as necessary for kneading. Water is used as a glue between pieces of dough. Have a towel to wipe your hands, and any tools you plan to use to sculpt, carve, or paint the dough.
7. Only take off the amount of dough that you will be shaping in your hand immediately. Powdered dye is easy to use. Knead powdered food coloring into a golf ball-sized wad of dough. The color will go into the dough but won’t stay on your hands. It takes a while to get used to working quickly with this delicate dough.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!
STORAGE: Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container overnight. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.All Rights Reserved. All material on slice-heaven.com web pages is the express opinion of its authors. Slice-heaven.com is not responsible for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect or punitive damages arising out of its pages or those accessed through this Site. Slice-heaven.com is a registered trademark of Slice of Heaven, LLC.